The West Bromwich Guardians built a new separate Infirmary in 1884
In 1867, the Metropolitan Poor Law Act provided for separate administration for the Poor Law Infirmaries.
In 1884, the West Bromwich Guardians built a new separate Infirmary and from then on continual improvements were made.
In 1927, a Nurses Home was erected with tennis courts at the front and gardens at the rear.
The Infirmary continued to grow and became later known as Hallam Hospital. It is now the home of Sandwell N.H.S. Trust.
The Local Government Act of 1929 abolished Boards of Guardians and the authority passed to the Local Councils.
West Bromwich Infirmary (Hallam Hospital) passed to the Public Health Committee.
The District School (Wigmore) passed to the Education Committee.
The Workhouse (Hallam House) passed to the Public Assistance Committee and was eventually closed in 1937.
Today the only building surviving of the Workhouse is the Guardians Boardroom, which can be seen as part of the hospital complex.
Donated article from Mike Fenton Dark Days of the West Bromwich Poor MF
Today the only building surviving of the Workhouse is the Guardians Boardroom.